Healthy Quinoa Kedgeree
3 bay leaves
3 spring onions
1 clove garlic
1 stick celery
1 tsp root ginger
1 packet smoked, peppered mackerel (approx. 160g) 4 eggs
3 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
150g frozen peas
1 large bunch flat leaf parsley
1. Rinse the quinoa and combine with 480ml water in a saucepan, add the bay leaves and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins.
2. In the meantime, finely chop the spring onions, garlic and celery and grate the root ginger.
3. In a separate saucepan, boil the eggs for 10-12 minutes.
4. Skin and flake the mackerel into a bowl.
5. After 10 mins, turn the heat off the quinoa, leave the lid on and allow to sit for a further 5-7 mins to absorb all of the water. Turn off the eggs and cool in cold water.
6. Once the water has been absorbed from the quinoa, add the spring onions, garlic, garam masala, and turmeric and heat gently.
7. Add the celery and ginger to the quinoa and cook for 1-2 mins, then add the peas and cook for a further 2-3 mins. Pick out the bay leaves. Stir in the flaked mackerel.
8. Roughly chop the parsley and add to the mixture.
9. Peel and quarter the hard boiled eggs and serve 1 on top of each kedgeree portion.